Our talented workforce is ready to work and wants to make a difference.
Contact a Workforce Strategy Consultant
Our talented and creative workforce is unparalleled.
When you have a business in Minnesota, you have access to the highest caliber of talent, a workforce that is ready discover new solutions to the world's most complex problems. After all, this is where:
- An idea grew into the pacemaker and ultimately Medtronic, which has saved millions of lives across the globe.
- 3M created the post it note. Today, we are never more than 10 feet away from 3M's science and innovations.
- Two brothers believed in exceptional health care. Today, the Mayo Clinic is solving some of the world's biggest health challenges.
We have more than 100 post-secondary institutions, the highest ACT state score, and are the 4th most educated state because we understand that knowledge powers the world.
- 2nd in Percentage of Population with High School Degrees Among Large Metropolitan Areas (Minneapolis-St. Paul)
- 3rd in Labor Force Participation Rate for Women
- 4th Most Educated State
- 5th in Percentage of Population with High School Degrees
Communities across Minnesota have a lot to offer – and they’re tops in talent attraction
Tight labor markets put talent attraction at the center of economic development strategies – and Minnesota communities realize the high quality of life they offer is a big draw for young families and working age people. Greater Minnesota offers unique advantages to potential new residents – from a close-knit community to traffic-free commutes, from a small town feel to proximity to nature and recreational resources.
Minnesota is a leader in rural resident recruitment thanks in part to the University of Minnesota Extension's pioneering rural movers research, which is focused on finding out why people move to rural areas. While there are likely more, DEED and the University of Minnesota Extension have identified 12 local resident recruitment programs and seven regional initiatives throughout Minnesota.
Here are some examples of these efforts, which employers can leverage to help attract new talent:
- Hello Iron Range! is a talent attraction website designed to promote the Iron Range in Northeast Minnesota and help businesses recruit and retain talent to the region. The site showcases key employers, quality of life, low cost of housing and more. On the site, you can find resources that show the locations of childcare, big box retailers, schools, and major employers. Hello Iron Range! was designed to be a one stop shop for those interested in living and working on the Iron Range.
- Live Wide Open, encouraging people to move to, return to and stay in West Central Minnesota. The initiative has attracted enough private investment to support an information-packed website, a robust social media presence and a half-hour television program that airs across the region. Live Wide coordinates with housing, recreation and education organizations throughout the region to help those considering a move to the area have access to all the information they need to make the move.
Resident recruitment efforts are helping communities and regions of Minnesota – as well as the state as a whole – stand out as a great place to work and live.
Read more on how our communities are recruiting talent.
We invest in our workforce so they can propel your business to the next level.
- Minnesota Job Skills Partnership Program partners with businesses and schools to train or retrain workers, expand opportunities, and keep high-quality jobs in the state. Grants of up to $400,000 are awarded to educational institutions that partner with businesses to develop new-job training or retraining for existing employees.
- Child care grants – we have statewide child care grants aimed to help reduce the child care shortage and support workers finding affordable child care options where they live.
- Broadband – our leading broadband program helps to bring high-speed broadband to underserved and unserved areas across Minnesota, aiming to make it possible to connect to your employees no matter where they live.
- Our workforce strategy consultants have a business development expert in every region of the state that works in partnership with our state, regional and local-level stakeholders to help your recruitment and workforce training and development needs to ensure you get the talent that you need for your operation.
Find out more about our workforce.
Learn about all of Minnesota's Economic Development Programs and Services in our Resource Guide.