5 Steps to Start your Business in Minnesota
Five steps to start a small business
When starting a new business there are many important decisions to make. Here are some resources and five steps to help you get started in Minnesota.
Organize your business. Here are the types of business structures available in Minnesota.
Confirm your business name and follow these step-by-step instructions for registering your business.
Obtain a state tax ID number from Minnesota Department of Revenue and federal tax ID number (EIN) from the IRS.
- Does your business require licenses and permits?
- Insurance should be secured to mitigate risks.
- Protect Your Intellectual Property: patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret.
Financing basics and state financing programs to help your startup or small business.
Research Grants, Tax Credits, and Loans
Connect with Others
Call or Email the Small Business Assistance Office (SBAO) at 651-556-8425 or 800-310-8323, email@example.com with specific questions or to be connected to the right resource.
- CONNECT with your regional entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- REVIEW our statewide startup and small business calendar.
A quick overview of DEED programs for starting or expanding a business.
A complete listing of DEED's Economic and Community Development Programs.