Your big ideas can solve the next generation’s problems today.
Contact Small Business Development
Minnesota is a phenomenal place to launch your business. We can make it possible for companies to grow right here in Minnesota and not feel they have to go elsewhere - and we want to promote innovative jobs and our innovation ecosystem in a coordinated way.
Our state government has lots of programs to help businesses in any industry get off the ground. Many of our largest companies are partners in accelerators and other startup programs. For example, Cargill and Ecolab support Techstars Farm to Fork accelerator, and Allianz and Securian Financial partner with gener8tor in the OnRamp Insurance accelerator.
- Launch Minnesota's Innovation Grants target the most promising, innovative businesses and technologies in Minnesota. These grants can be used to reimburse business expenses like research and development or technical assistance services.
- Angel Tax Credit provides a 25% credit to investors or investment funds that make equity investments in startup companies focused on high technology, new proprietary technology, or a new proprietary product, process or service in specified fields.
- Direct Investment Venture Capital makes direct investments in Minnesota-based startups, including those at the seed and early-stage.
- Growth Loan Fund provides direct loans to early-stage businesses that qualify for the Angel Tax Credit or are working with accredited investors or a VC firm. Loans range from $100,000 to $400,000 based on 20% of the total investment in a defined funding round, not to exceed 12 months.
- STEP grants (50% matching up to $7,500) support a range of export development activities, including participation in virtual and in-person trade shows and missions.
Call or Email the Small Business Assistance Office (SBAO) at 651-556-8425 or 800-310-8323, email@example.com with specific questions or to be connected to the right resource.